POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal Blur: Why focal_point *vector*? : Re: Focal Blur: Why focal_point *vector*? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal Blur: Why focal_point *vector*?
From: ingo
Date: 24 Jul 2002 02:49:25
Message: <Xns92555A6559ADBseed7@povray.org>
in news:pan### [at] iastateedu Ed Jackson
wrote:

> Shouldn't you just have to define a (scalar) distance from the camera
> for focal blur calculations?

Comming from photography this seems the locical way. But in POV-Ray
there is one difference. If you'd had to set a focal point distance,
you'd first have to calculate the distance from camera to subject. In
the current situation you have to calculate noting, one glance at the
scene gives you the location of the subject and thus the focal point.
The exception is when you've put the subject in position by
transformation.

> A related question: If I specify focal_point<0,0,5>  *before* I
> specify the location and look_at, do I end up with a focal point five
> units in front of the camera?

Have you tried?

Ingo