POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : distance pattern ? : Re: distance pattern ? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: distance pattern ?
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 10 Jul 2002 01:20:38
Message: <Xns92474A242630raf256com@204.213.191.226>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:3d2ba80d@news.povray.org:

>> that will create 100x100x100 bits arrar - informing is some point
>> inside object or not.
>   Uh... I didn't understand this at all. What does it help to know if
> a point is inside an object or not, when you are calculating the
> distance of a point from the surface of the object?

in worst case - You can just shut rays at object, as it was in test wersion
of distance pattern, but it will by much faster to test intersection of
pixelized rather then i.e. isosurface or complex CSG

> And besides, insideness test is not a problem (it's required for CSG
> and
> perhaps some other things, and in pov3.5 they even added it to the SDL
> so that you can use it in your scenes; it's the inside() function).

I only suggested : why not optimize (using pre-calculated array) this
tests, that will result in faster shooting rays and i.e. speeding up
distance calculations