POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity and finish : Re: Radiosity and finish Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and finish
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 8 Jul 2002 13:48:09
Message: <Xns9245C8E94A2DDraf256com@204.213.191.226>
Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in news:3D29C26F.26C123D6@gmx.de:

> Radiosity, AFAIR, doesn't affect phong and specular. Those are
> lightsource dependant "faking" algorithms.
>
> If I'm correct, specular and phong only take the surface-normal
> in relation to the direction towards the lightsource and calculate
> a "shinyness" based on that angle. Since radiosity isn't connected
> to a lightsource, the implementation of light-directions from radiosity
> is fairly difficult.

but IMHO this is worth the effort :)

afair realy radiosity needs calculations of about 50-200 (count)
samples per one pixel. Due to reuse - only few samples are calculated -
because POV remebers radiosity brighntess in last pixel(s)... em I right ?

if we turn off reusing, all will actualy calculate ~count samples for each
pixel - we will get normal of each 50..200 ray's that create radiosity in
this point - and we can apply specular to them.

this ofcourse will slow down a lot calculations - so this should be turned
on/off by some option...