POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How should single dimension area lights work?? : Re: How should single dimension area lights work?? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How should single dimension area lights work??
From: Rich
Date: 11 Feb 2002 23:43:24
Message: <Xns91B2DCFAB7B23spammindspringcom@204.213.191.226>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:3c689993@news.povray.org:

> Rich <SrP### [at] ricoswebcom> wrote:
>: how come I don't get a line of illumination?
>
>   Area lights affect *only* shadow calculations. Nothing else.

  Ah.  Ok, I see where it says this in the docs.  Sorry I missed that
before posting, but it seems so counter-intuitive; if the illumination
doesn't match the shadows, area_lights become very limited in their
usefulness.
  So how do I get a smooth line of illumination?  A simple array of point
lights doesn't work; either there aren't enough lights to provide smooth
illumination or there are too many to render in a reasonable time.  <sigh>

--
Rich Allen
(Remove SPAM from my address to reply by e-mail)