POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 4.00 question : Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question)
From: Jordan
Date: 1 Feb 2002 22:38:03
Message: <Xns91A8C7BB76A2Bhookflashhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
>   The inheritance hierarchy in the C++ code of povray 4 will probably
>   look
> something like that.
>   Of course it doesn't mean that the SDL will look like that.

I *really* hope the sdl gets completely redone for pov 4.  Imo, an object-
oriented approach would be much cleaner & prettier.  I would love to see a
more powerful sdl (cleaner (no more '{'s and '#'s, for example), user-
defined data types, fast, etc.) in pov 4.  It would also be neat if it were
possible to implement a platform dependant jit compiler that could sort of
"plug in" to an existing installation (like  Sun's "hotspot" thing).  Has
anyone considered using an existing scripting language, such as Lua or
Python, as the pov sdl?  This is *exactly* the sort of thing these langs
were designed for.

Jordan

P.S.  Maybe someone should write a pov compiler that targets the CLR &
.NET.  Just kidding...;-P