POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.5 documentation : Re: POV 3.5 documentation Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5 documentation
From: ingo
Date: 14 Sep 2001 14:12:23
Message: <Xns911CCD8CACDE3seed7@povray.org>
in news:3BA2097E.D0AB65A1@ief.u-psud.fr Francois Le_Coat/mailaxis
wrote:

>  I used to
> define a "mesh" containing an explicit formula of the explicit
> surface, and describing the vertex and it's normals, computed from
> the surface's definition. That produced a really long parsing, due
> to the definition of
> macros for the points, and the normals.
> As I suspect, the explicit formula of 3D surfaces is now sufficient
> to define a 3D shape.

 POV-Ray 3.5 has the parametric{} object, that directly renders the
formula. But it can be very slow in its current state.
 Incidentally I have yesterday posted a macro that may be of interest
for you, as it calulates the mesh a lot faster than the output of your
program does. It uses mesh2 and function, both new in 3.5, see:

Newsgroups: povray.binaries.scene-files
Subject: Re: param.inc
From: ingo <ing### [at] homenl>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 04:31:21 -0400