POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Multiprocessor versions of POV? : Re: Multiprocessor versions of POV? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multiprocessor versions of POV?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 1 Mar 2000 15:23:06
Message: <WcW8OD1M+fXfjwxh2zRS8HSKneHD@4ax.com>
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:19:31 +0100, Karl Pelzer
<Kar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

>I know, this might have been asked quite often. But is there a listing
>of POV versions running on multiprocessor platfoms?
>I'm especially thinking of a dual celeron solution.
>What OS do I need (NT,Linux,...)?
>Any suggestions. Anyone already made experiences with this matter?
>
>Karl

Being the lazy bum that I am, I'll just copy & paste from a reply I
send to the exact same question a couple of days ago. Here we go...

POV-Ray is indeed currently incapable of making use of SMPs.
There have been PVM ports of POV-Ray but I don't think a 3.1 one
is available let alone MegaPOV.

But, there is always a workaround :) If you can't take advantage of
multithreading, do so with multitasking. Run two instances of POV
and give each of them a separate portion of the image. Depending
on the image, one part may take significantly longer to render than
the other, imposing some difficulties. There are three basic ways to
split up the work:

1. Give the top half of the image to one instance of POV and the
bottom half -- to the other one.

2. The same, but use left/right halves instead.

3. Make one instance render the odd lines and the other instance --
the even lines. To do so, type this in the command line (the INI file
won't work because both files share a single povray.ini):

+uf +kfi0 +kff1 +ef0

and this in the command line of the second instance of POV:

+uf +kfi0 +kff1 +sf1

This will make two images, say output0.tga and output1.tga . The
first one will contain the even lines and the second one will contain
the odd lines. Open the images in a paint program and deinterlace
them.

I hope this works OK for you.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet