POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface speed : Re: Ooo... a solution? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo... a solution?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 29 Aug 2006 04:18:52
Message: <WZW25YAWR+8EFwJe@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Orchid XP v3 who wrote:
>>> (I read somewhere that dividing your function by a big number makes
>>> max_gradient lower, but doesn't make it trace any faster. But this trick
>>> makes the big numbers small, but leaves the small numbers alone so
>>> POV-Ray doesn't go around taking tiny steps there any more.)
>>
>> That sounds like me
>>
>> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/dont.htm
>
>Yeah.
>
>Ooo... "you can't use arrays in an isosurface function". Um... well... I
>just did. :-.

I don't say you can't use arrays. I say

  You can't index an array inside an isosurface function.

  You can use individual fixed elements of an array, like A[3] but you
  can't use the function variables to index the array like A[floor(x)].

  However, you can do this:
  http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/arrays.htm

--
Mike Williams