POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request for next release : Re: Feature request for next release Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request for next release
From: Glen Berry
Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:09:18
Message: <WHGwONqp6EJjClav4WVO+TPSbIV6@4ax.com>
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:39:02 -0800, "Jon A. Cruz"
<jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

>Now, it might be possible to not really cause any problems at all. Then
>again, it might. I just have a general aversion to using lossy formats for
>any sort of source image.

So you have never used an image map that was based upon a JPEG file? I
dare say, that most of the people who have used image maps have done
this on occaision. It can turn out perfectly fine. The JPEG artifacts
of a potential source image aren't always a noticeable factor in the
final quality of a rendered image. In fact, I would say that *most* of
the time they aren't a problem at all.

Of course, if you want to buy larger hard drives for everyone to store
their image map collections on...        :)

later,
Glen Berry