POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Illegal scaling, that is'nt illegal... : Re: Illegal scaling, that is'nt illegal... Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:30:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal scaling, that is'nt illegal...
From: Mike Williams
Date: 15 Dec 2009 07:35:06
Message: <V8qHR9B1J4JLFw+w@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Stephen who wrote:
>H. Karsten wrote:
>> Well this would be maybe an option for the version 4.
>>
>LOL but seriously why do you want to scale things to zero? If I want to
>show something getting larger from nothing I initially translate it out
>of view then using a “step jump” translate it into view and scale
>it up from a small value.

If we're talking about zero in all three dimensions, then it would be
efficient to put all the objects inside if statements, and skip the
parsing and rendering if the scale is zero. Perhaps using a macro that
accepts an object and a scale factor if there are many such objects to
be handled.

However, the warning and the defaulting to 1.0 happen if only one of the
dimensions is scaled to zero. Perhaps Holger wants the objects to be
scaled infinitely thin, like part of a plane. With the current
behaviour, if you try to scale an object infinitely thin in one
direction, the parser thinks you've missed that parameter and scales it
to 1.0.

I can imagine some of the ray intersection solvers having big problems
with objects that really do have zero thickness, because they're trying
to find points where the ray goes from outside to inside something, and
that doesn't really happen if the object has no thickness. [Note that
thin objects like planes don't have that problem because they consider
half the universe to be inside.]

I can also imagine compound objects, like unions, suffering from
coincident surface artefacts wherever two components with different
textures overlap.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure