POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RGB Channel Merging Program? : Re: RGB Channel Merging Program? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RGB Channel Merging Program?
From: Glen Berry
Date: 19 Feb 2000 01:21:12
Message: <UzOuOJQhTdG8R7R04H4PiESNqHoe@4ax.com>
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 00:55:08 -0000, "Equiprawn" <equ### [at] tinetie>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>OK, I know this isn't strictly related to the 3D world, but I was going
>through Nasa's site, and I found three 22 meg jpegs, each a section of a map
>of the surface of Mars. One is the red colour channel, one the green and the
>third the blue.

I have two questions:

1. Where can we download these ourselves?

2. Even if you do mangage to combine these, will the file be too big
for your computer to do anything usefull with? I suppose you could
always scale them down, to make them easier to work with.

Now that I think about it, you can always open the jpeg images at 1/2,
1/4, or 1/8 size, if you have the right software. LViewPro will do
this, for example. The capability is built into the jpeg routines
written by the Independent JPEG Group. Lots of software is built
around this library. You can even download free command line tools
created by the Independent JPEG Group and use them to accomplish this.

Of course, you won't have the full resolution of the original files,
but is your computer really big enough to handle that resolution
anyway? Are you going to be creating an output image that will have
enough resolution to make full use of such an input image? Something
like creating a wall mural at over 300dpi?   :)

later,
Glen Berry