POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images : Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images
From: Alan Kong
Date: 27 Sep 1999 01:18:52
Message: <U=zuNxpJIpWFysmH5I96T5Dcai0w@4ax.com>
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:40:37 +1000, "Lance Birch" <lan### [at] usanet>
wrote:

>The use of the image(s) is not an infringement if the book was somehow
>promoting the IRTC competition and its associated activities, or if the
>image was being used by a sponsor to demonstrate their products/services
>(such as quality of printing by a sponsor that is a printing service).

  Gautam said in his post that it is a college textbook. Judging by its
title it probably doesn't contain advertising or promotion of a product
between its covers.

>Otherwise, I'd seriously think of finding out how the hell it got in that
>book!!!

  The author either downloaded it from the IRTC pages or got the images from
an official IRTC CD-ROM, which is also a copyright violation. These images
are not public domain and someone else is profiting from Gautam's work.

--
Alan