POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : What is a "binary utility" ? : What is a "binary utility" ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:40:30 EDT (-0400)
  What is a "binary utility" ?
From: Alan Kong
Date: 14 Sep 1999 22:59:55
Message: <RAnfNwBw4tDSDKHDoPStioR2=5sE@4ax.com>
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:19:43 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>What is a binary utility ?
>
>  My own interpertation of this is an executable program that
>accomplishes a desired goal. However I see many people here
>post macro/include files to this group calling them utilities
>and there is a strong case for doing so. However a macro/include
>file is still just a form of POV-Ray scene file and might be
>better placed by definition in one of the scene-files groups.
>
>Was that confusing enough ?

  I'm not confused. I agree with your definition that a binary utility is a
stand-alone, executable program as opposed to a POV-Ray macro or include
file that is parsed by the POV-Ray rendering engine.

  Examples of binary utilities are John P. Beale's HFLab and GForge, and
Warp's Triangle Mesh Compressor.

  Examples (excellent ones) of POV-Ray macros and include files are the city
generator, object bender, and spray files written by Chris Colefax. These
files are parsed just like POV-Ray's scene files and standard include files,
such as colors.inc and textures.inc.

  Macros and include files are best suited for posting...

  ...in povray.text.scene-files, if the macro or include file is typed or
cut-and-pasted into the body of the message, or

  ...in povray.binaries.scene-files, if the macro or include file is in the
form of a message attachment such as a .pov or .inc file.

  Hope this clarifies things for everyone. Comments, anyone? If so, address
them to Ken <big grin>.

--
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get