POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle : Re: Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle
From: Mike Williams
Date: 5 May 2006 00:34:05
Message: <Qq3HlUA4UtWEFwLT@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Sven Littkowski who wrote:
>Hi Chambers and Alain,
>
>I am also a programmer and when suggesting the new lasso feature, I had
>exactly in mind what Chambers explains.
>
>But on the other side, I am not sure how and how much it affects the speed.
>
>I would like to have here an opinion by someone from the POV-Ray team, as
>they know the source code the best, and can also very fine estimate how the
>new lasso would affect calculation amount and speed.

One awkwardness might be the difficulty of doing a shift-lasso to
remember a permanent region.

With the existing shift-drag rectangle, only four parameters need to be
appended to the command line, but an arbitrary shape might require a
very large number of parameters.

Without the ability to set the lassoed region permanently, you'd have to
re-lasso the area after each test run, even if the last test failed so
badly that nothing was visible in the target region.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure