POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request for next release : Re: Feature request for next release Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request for next release
From: Glen Berry
Date: 19 Feb 2000 01:40:43
Message: <QjauOLzxys=HItKYOIBDeSOZWNlB@4ax.com>
On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:50:15 -0600, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>JPEG output is unsuitable for POV-Ray (just search a few month back to find
>a thread on it). JPEG input is another issue.

Funny, it comes in pretty handy for IRTC submissions and you will also
find several "unsuitable" jpeg images here on this news server.   :)

My point is that while JPEG images are certainly compromised in
quality, there are certainly good uses for them. It would be nice if
POV-Ray could support them directly, instead of relying on external
software. This should be an option that the *user* gets to decide
whether or not to use. I'm very tired of some programmers deciding
that since *they* don't want to use a potential feature, that no one
else should have the option of using it either. This sort of thinking
only hurts the potential of POV-Ray.

I assume I'll be flamed for saying that, but I think it needed to be
said.

Believe me, if I could handle the programming myself, I'd write a JPEG
patch personally. In fact, it has already been done by a few different
people, but it was never incorporated into the Official POV, nor did
it find it's way into SuperPatch, or Mega-POV. If anyone wants JPEG
support currently, they can always use IMP-POV. Unfortunately, it is
based on Official POV, and not Mega-POV, which is my favorite.

later,
Glen Berry