POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion : Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion
From: Mike Williams
Date: 21 Jan 2005 15:19:29
Message: <PxDwjFACPW8BFwcr@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Przemek Loesch who wrote:

>Is this what I am talking about really so strange and hard to understand? Or
>my English is so bed?
>We have "shadowless" keyword in Povray. The idea is to make this feature
>work in a smooth way from 0-1. That's all.

Do you mean like placing a normal light and a shadowless light at the
same location, adjusting the brightness of each light and keeping the
sum of their brightness constant?

Consider this, and try different values of Shadow_Darkness:

camera {location  <0,5,-10> look_at <0,-1,0> angle 30}

#declare Shadow_Darkness=0.5;
light_source {<-30, 100, 0> colour rgb 1*Shadow_Darkness}
light_source {<-30, 100, 0> colour rgb 1*(1-Shadow_Darkness) shadowless}

plane {y,-2 pigment {rgb 1}}
sphere {0,1 pigment {rgb 1}}

This even works for values greater than 1.0 (really dark shadows even on
high-ambient surfaces) and values less than 0.0 (bright anti-shadows).

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure