POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Testing....Testing... : Re: Testing....Testing... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing....Testing...
From: crewman
Date: 4 Mar 2000 19:03:39
Message: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10003041549470.17492-100000@belial.reno.nv.us>
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Chris Huff wrote:

> In article
> <Pin### [at] belialrenonvus>,
> <cre### [at] belialrenonvus> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > Take the dive! Go for mega 0.4........
> >
> > MegaPOV? heard of it....whats it's features?
>
> There are too many to list here, but the biggest and most important
> ones(in my opinion, anyway) are:
>
> Isosurfaces, which are shapes defined by an arbitrary equation.

Ummmm ok :)

> Photon mapping, which simulates the way light bounces around the scene
> through refraction and reflection. This allows you to have real caustics
> and lenses which actually focus light.

Now THIS is cool stuff!!

> Radiosity improvements. Many of the bugs and restrictions of the
> official version's radiosity have been removed, and the result is
> faster, better quality, and easier to use radiosity.

nifty!

> Media sampling methods. There are two additional ways of sampling media.
> These can give better results with fewer samples, which means better
> media with much faster rendering.

I've heard about media but to my (semi?:) eternal shame I haven't even
read POVrays docs on media yet...I know it can do cool stuff...

> There is a (complete?) list here: http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

Isn't that the guy who wrote those lens flare plugins for Moray (I d/l it
to try it (Moray that is :)...now I use it for it's awesome texture
editor....well material editor I should say......man POVRAY sure gives me
heck when I try and combine my inc file with borrowered materials from
Moray and textures from the textures.inc file :)