POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compile problems povray 3.50c and Solaris 8 x86 : Re: Compile problems povray 3.50c and Solaris 8 x86 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:42:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile problems povray 3.50c and Solaris 8 x86
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 31 Mar 2003 16:07:50
Message: <Pine.GSO.4.53.0303311558120.15160@blastwave>
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <Pine.GSO.4.53.0303302337490.25621@blastwave> , Dennis Clarke
><dcl### [at] blastwaveorg>  wrote:
>
>> 64-bit
>
>be aware that you cannot build a fully working 64 bit version of POV-Ray
>3.50 without source code changes.
>
>    Thorsten

  thank you for the alert, you probably saved me a lot of time.

 At the moment I have a few library problems and the compiler issues a million
warnings about multi-byte constants.  Not exactly portable code.

 in any case .. I had it running at about 02:00AM last night but it was dog
 slow on the UltraSparc.  I trying to render the benchmark.pov with -Q9 and
 a number of other options that were not in the readme section of the
benchmark.pov scene file.  That was a mistake.  It took an hour for the first
 50 pixel lines of a 640x480 image.  Not so good.  It also used up 15Mb of
memory to generate that sort of performance.

 I have more than a few hours of work ahead of me I see ...

 Item number 6 below is a real problem.  That should not be there.

 Dennis

bash-2.03$ dump -Lv src/povray

src/povray:

  **** DYNAMIC SECTION INFORMATION ****
.dynamic:
[INDEX] Tag         Value
[1]     NEEDED          libtiff.so
[2]     NEEDED          libjpeg.so.62
[3]     NEEDED          libpng.so.3
[4]     NEEDED          libz.so.1
[5]     NEEDED          libX11.so.4
[6]     NEEDED          libstdc++.so.2.10.0
[7]     NEEDED          libm.so.1
[8]     NEEDED          libc.so.1
[9]     INIT            0xf51cc
[10]    FINI            0xf51e8
[11]    RUNPATH         /opt/csw/lib:/usr/openwin/lib
[12]    RPATH           /opt/csw/lib:/usr/openwin/lib
[13]    HASH            0x100e8
[14]    STRTAB          0x18d78
[15]    STRSZ           0x9549
[16]    SYMTAB          0x12fc8