POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Perl script for batch renders - render.zip : Perl script for batch renders - render.zip Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:47:26 EDT (-0400)
  Perl script for batch renders - render.zip
From: Peter Popov
Date: 2 Feb 2000 19:43:19
Message: <PMuYOBo9E5klsUDaH2m7Yu12Ax3U@4ax.com>
The attached Perl script can be useful for batch renders like the new
MegaPOV demo scenes etc. If ImageMagick is available it can also be
used to convert the output images to GIF/JPEG and create thumbnails.

Usage is pretty simple. I haven't written any docs yet but the -v
option will give a brief summary of what each variable is for. If the
script is run with no parameters, it will spit out a list of all
recognized command-line parameters, short and long versions. The
latter can be abbreviated to the shortest unique prefix.

Basically, you pass it a file ("-i <filename>") or a directory ("-I
<filename>") and it will render the former or all POV files in the
directory and all subdirectories. It will also convert them, create
thumbnails, delete raw output etc. if instructed.

This is work-in-progress. It works on my computer, it should work for
you too, but I guarrantee nothing. A Unix system helps :) though from
what the docs of the File::Find module say, it should run flawlessly
on Mac, Amiga, Win32, Dos and Unix. I tried to make it fool protected
but if you try to, for example, use --render-engine "rm -rf ~", I
cannot be blamed :) Seriously, bug reports, ideas for improvement,
suggestions for new functionality, complains etc. are welcome. Also,
this is my first real Perl program (aside from a simple CGI script
which spits out a joke it randomly selects from a file) so I am also
welcoming suggestions on how to improve my code efficiency- and
style-wise.

Thanks in advance to anyone who shows interest in this baby.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message