POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is it possible to model translucent objects (not transparent)? : Re: Is it possible to model translucent objects (not transparent)? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it possible to model translucent objects (not transparent)?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 2 Sep 2005 03:46:03
Message: <PHCQ+JAsMAGDFwH+@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Brook who wrote:

>I am trying to render some translucent objects

You might try using mirconormals. If you're not using specular
highlights, you can just use something like
        normal {granite 0.4 scale 0.000001}

For shiny objects, however, that also breaks up the highlights and makes
it obvious that the effect is happening on the surface, rather than in
the interior of the object. To fix that, you can add a second, slightly
scaled, copy of the shape that is entirely invisible apart from a smooth
specular highlight. (I couldn't manage to get the effect to work using
layered textures.)

Antialiassing is required for the effect to look anything like
convincing.

global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
camera {location  <0,10,-10> look_at <0,0,0> angle 20}
light_source {<-30, 100, -30> color rgb 1}

plane {y, -1 pigment {checker}}

sphere {0,1
  pigment {rgbt <1,1,1,0.8>}
  interior {ior 1.1}