POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Glen Berry
Date: 14 Mar 2000 04:17:39
Message: <PADOOEoI23fsQWYANZcc+5GLT5Mw@4ax.com>
<KEN>
 I will also raise one more major disadvantage of moving toward the
<----> tags you mention. It will break every single POV-Ray utility
and modelling program ever created because they have all been
programmed to use the curly brace for opening and closing functions.
One cannot presume that every utility author will take the time to
adapt their programs to this new syntax and in fact it would be
unreasonable to presume that they would want to or are even still
around to do so. I would call that a crippling blow to everyone who
uses a modeller or utility designed to work with the program.
</KEN>

<GLEN BERRY>
One *more* disadvantage? This would actually be the first disadvantage
you have mentioned in this message. Your previous paragraph dealt with
an issue that could be dealt with in ways other than using an XML
style. It didn't show any inherent disadvantage in an XML style
however.

<JEST>
As for this "disadvantage" you bring up, it only exists for those
people that want to use a legacy modeler with the new XML syntax.
Those people who wish to live in the past can continue using the
current version of POV with their current modeler. No one is going to
force them to upgrade.
</JEST>

</GLEN BERRY>