POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : resolution question : Re: resolution question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: resolution question
From: Mike Williams
Date: 24 Dec 2004 03:30:20
Message: <MqxAFBAxN9yBFwcy@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Stephen who wrote:
>I just ** hope** this isn't covered in the doc'n somewhere, but since I
>can't find the answer to my question, I'll ask:
>
>What is the native resolution of POVRay - not the rendering size, but the
>number of dots per inch?  One chunk of SW that I have says 96dpi and another
>implies 76ish about some rendered images.
>
>My standard output type is BMP (oh, well) but I typically like JPGs and can
>work with other file types. My interest is in getting the best possible
>detailed rendering and then if my printer or scaling wants to muddle with
>that, then so be it.
>
>Any way to get higher resolutions?

POV doesn't have a native resolution. It never writes the optional
resolution data field to the files that it outputs. (Some image formats,
such as Targa, don't support the saving of a resolution value).

The 96ppi and 76ppi that you see are the default values used by your
software when they open an image file which doesn't contain a value for
the resolution.

If you want different values, then look to see if it's possible to
change the default resolution used by your software. For example, if you
have Paint Shop Pro 8, the value it uses is in File: Preferences:
General Program Preferences: Units: Default Resolution (the menu varies
slightly depending on the PSP version).

Many graphics programs have the facility to change the resolution
without changing the image data. In PSP 8 this is achieved by using
Image Resize, setting the resolution value and then setting the pixel
dimensions to be the same as the original. In Irfanview it is achieved
by using Image Resize, setting the units to "pixels" and changing only
the DPI value.

The ppi value is only really meaningful if you then go on to print the
image without scaling it. Scaling it for printing causes the value saved
in the file to be ignored.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure