POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea: util for "sharing" CPU power : Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power
From: Mike Williams
Date: 27 Dec 2001 13:54:13
Message: <Md7E4TAP02K8Ew52@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Gergely Vandor who wrote:

>Povray is able to render only a specified region of an image. It should be
>fairly easy to combine these regions to the whole image. Although as I'm
>writing this I'm becoming a bit uncertain since AA, radiosity, and photons
>(and maybe some other features too) can be problematic.

AA is not a problem. The pixels just outside the specified region are
calculated and used for the AA calculations, but are not output.

For radiosity, what you probably need to do is arrange for a radiosity
savefile to be created once for the whole scene. The partial renderers
would then all load the same save file.

I can't see that photons would be a problem at all. Photons interact
quite happily with objects that are outside the frame, so they should
work just as well with objects that are inside the frame but outside the
selected region.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure