POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 11 Dec 2015 11:43:18
Message: <MPG.30d4c73419c41bdd98968e@news.povray.org>
In article <566ae5e5$1@news.povray.org>, ano### [at] anonymousorg says...
> > I think basing things of SVG would be a good idea. I.e. XML + SMIL +
> > JavaScript.
>
> Abso-bloody-lutely not.

I thought the same thing. XML is a bitch to write by hand. Awesome for
machine generation, though.

> You do need to learn
> two entirely different languages, XML and JavaScript.

Yeah, but povray is two fused languages now.  The DKBTrace "C" type of
object definition (which I learned first...) and a perl-ish procedural
language bolted on top of that.

I thought of JSON when he said XML, but is that really any better than
what exists? It just replaces the current braces with brackets and
braces.  One advantage might be, my only complaint about the current
language is the inconsistent use of semicolons and commas.
#declare SemicolonRequired=1;
#debug "no semicolon here\n"
torus { 1, 0.1 }	// comma please
cone { <0,0,0> 1 <1,1,1> 2 }	// 4 params no commas

dik