POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fitting a texture to an object.. : Re: Fitting a texture to an object.. Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:52:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fitting a texture to an object..
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Aug 2008 03:22:11
Message: <MPG.230996f8ffa7103898a190@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.230949afe1f58a8f98a18c@news.povray.org>,
sel### [at] rraznet says...
> #declare t_sculpty = texture {
>  pigment {
>    average
>    pigment_map {
>      [1 gradient x color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb <1,0,0>]}]
>      [1 gradient y color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb <0,0,1>]}]
>      [1 gradient z color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb <0,1,0>]}]
>    }
>    translate -0.5
>  }
>  finish { ambient 3 diffuse 0 }
> }
>
> object {My_Tingy //Some CSG or mesh object, or media container.
>  no_image
>  no_shadow
>  texture { t_sculpty }
>  hollow
> }
>
> sphere { 0, 1.001 inverse
>  finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 reflection 1 }
>  no_reflection
> }
>
> camera { spherical location 0 look_at z*-1 }

Well, this nearly works.. Getting the scale right so I don't get
overlaps and other glitches that mangle the final result is problematic,
but using the above, with this object:

object {cylinder{-.4,.4,.1} //Some CSG or mesh object, or media
container.
 no_image
 no_shadow
 texture { t_sculpty }
 hollow
}

Produces something "similar" to a cylinder. lol Images of the map and
the result, displayed in a sculpty editor called Tatara are in images as
SL_Sculpty.

The black and white points shouldn't really be there, which is part of
the problem, but a more rounded shape shouldn't do that (I would hope).
However, it "does" require that you "flip" the image, otherwise the
program, and SL, produces something that is inside out. Can probably fix
that by adjusting the camera, or something, but I have no idea what
causes it, or how one does fix it. A "box" produces a similar odd
result, once adjusted so no radical overlap colors happen (Too big and
you get echos, even though the reflection is off... No idea why.), the
corners are messed up.. Still, this can get "close" to the right
results, which is better than what I was dealing with before. lol Oh,
and a torus, doesn't work so well...

Still need to test media, but this looks promising, if I can just figure
out how and why things go wrong. ;)

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {