POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ohgodohgodohgod : Re: Ohgodohgodohgod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ohgodohgodohgod
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Jul 2008 16:48:15
Message: <MPG.22eff5046e740f0398a188@news.povray.org>
In article <4885f9e5$1@news.povray.org>, mra### [at] hotmailcom says...
> scott wrote:
> >> Don't tell me that's the minimum requirements..
> >
> > No no no, he's only using 4% of the RAM there!
> >

> Oh, so ... only about 40GB of RAM, then ...

No, that's 40GB in the machine, the other 80GB is on the HDD. lol

Seriously, someone was doing a poorly done, but interesting comparison
on Windows vs. Linux memory usage. Windows simply crashed at a certain
point on his when swap partition was off, while Linux didn't even
notice, since it never, under the configuration it used on installation,
used it anyway. Windows of course wouldn't boot at all in 512MB, but
Linux simply refused to run the desktop. And.. memory usage of tasks...
Windows swallowed in average about 30+% more (per task), for every thing
you did with it, and in the case of IE 7, refused to give any of it back
until you closed the last window. And that doesn't even mention that
fact that, for most tasks, Linux never went above 1-2% processor
utilization, where hard tasks could take 24%, like playing video, and on
a machine without a dedicated video system for handling stuff, while
just opening the application would spike Windows at 70%+.

Basically, windows seems to be so tuned (and not possible to untune) to
swap shit out when not explicitly needed that half your processor
activity and most of your system memory is constantly being dumped back
and forth from the HDD, and that is without asking, "Why the hell does
it take 20% more to do the same thing anyway, never mind things like IE
7 never returning any of it when no longer needed? (Should be noted,
this is also the same stupid issue we ran into with Active Script. It
failed to "release" memory immediately, so every time you loaded, ran,
then dropped a small fragment of code, while there was still a main
script running in the client application, it would eat a bit of your
available ram. Do that 2,000-3,000 times in a row and your client
crashed do to sudden lack of memory, 99% of which shouldn't have even
still been "in use".)

And we wonder why it is still "unstable"? lol

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();