POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This year's new vintage : Re: This year's new vintage Server Time
17 May 2024 23:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This year's new vintage
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jul 2008 22:52:06
Message: <MPG.22e0793bb4fad40198a17f@news.povray.org>
In article <487673a8$1@news.povray.org>, nos### [at] nospamcom says...
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:31:22 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
> > Doctor John wrote:
> >> http://www.winehq.org/?announce=1.0-rc1
> >>
> >> I think a few tasting sessions are in order.
> >
> > Hmm... "This is realise 1.0-rc1 of Wine, a free implementation of
> > Windows on Unix." Would that not, by definition, be illegal?
>
> No.  Because it's not an implementation of *Windows*, it's an
> implementation of Windows APIs using clean-room reverse engineering.
> There's nothing illegal about that.
>
> That's how Compaq built IBM compatible PCs - clean room reverse
> engineering of the BIOS.
>
> > Sometimes
> > tastes fishy here...
>
> Not at all.  The project is at least 12 years old....
>
> Jim

Mind you, MS may have used the same lame logic about this project as
they have in the past with proprietary protocols, presuming that if the
API is complex, buggy, needlessly bloated and overloaded, no one could
ever copy it. They where almost right. It took 12 years, instead of a
week, like the last protocol they came up with. ;) lol

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();