POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Jul 2008 17:12:17
Message: <MPG.22ded7f1d14d5b1298a17c@news.povray.org>
In article <4874ee34$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...

> >> You never played Second Life, have you? ;-)
> >
> > Played? I've never *heard* of it. Why?
>
> Because it's a terribly boring way to play a game, so on the rare
> occasions when I played it, I usually had other windows open doing other

> things too. :-)

I have a post I made yesterday on the exchange forum stating why I think
that is the case. There is no "cohesive" concept for the world, unless
some people get together to buy up sims and link them, and no way to
"find" places to visit unless its listed on a note card, your are
looking to buy something, or its on a mainland, where its "possible" to
wander past it. (Well, unless you do what I did one day when teleporting
was bugged and just started making short hops between disconnected sims
(for some reason long jumps wouldn't work, but short ones would).

In any case, there are exceptions. One exception is people that build
beautiful areas, but provide no factions/groups, RP concepts, or things
to really "do" there, then wonder why, after the first few days of
people showing up to look at the pretty glowing whatevers, its dead
empty. some of those places look like they belong in an MMO or even Myst
Uru (well, almost, in the later case). The second case is ones like CoLA
(City of Lost Angels). Its got:

When I started RPing there: West Gate, CoLA, Aracadia

Has added: North Gate, Cape CoLA (Cape has nothing in it at them moment,
but it doesn't take long to build North Gate, though that is still not
100% finished.)

Will be adding: at least 2 areas dedicated to the local vampires, and
maybe 1-2 others that are around.

Has teleports for - New Gammorah, Opal City, and... probably others.

Its successful because... ***Its gone one single theme!***

Same goes for the furry areas, though those tend to be more of a social
club type thing. There are SG-1/Atlantis areas, including one *huge*
group of 8-9 sims that are at the main center of that group of people,
not including the thousands of gates scattered around the world, with at
least four different networks, which can all interconnect (means you can
have an OpenGate, Pegasus, Alteran and Milkyway gate all on the same
property, if you don't want to have to keep telling the one you have
which network to link to when dialing).

Basically, the people that are **geniuses** at making pretty content,
but couldn't give a reason for people to "stay" there, are dying out.
The shopping malls are succeeding for the same reason all such places
do, and in no small part because, despite the disparity in product
quality, its easier to "find" bad designs at a mall than find the gems
in some out of the way place, which *only* has one or two items. But,
even those are hurting, and partly due to their own stupidity of trying
to make themselves look good using bots to boost "visitor numbers".

But, the key point that Orchid XP and Invisible need to recognize is
that, unlike regular game worlds, this one allows you to "create" things
for it. Which means you need tools made by the other players, who sell
licenses via SL to run them, paint/photo software to do certain kinds of
textures, Blender or Wings3D, etc. to generate certain kinds of things,
including UV maps and displacement maps (which they call sculpties),
maybe a BVH editor to do animation of the character for special poses,
walks, etc., and.. hmm, a sound editor for making those, and who knows
what else in the future. If you had a fast enough connection, a fast
enough machine, and no other hardware to do it, you might even run a
server to track data sent via the script from your items to your DB, to
support RP combat, or who knows what else. Heck, one of the most popular
things in SL right not is 7Sea Fishing, where you buy a pro fishing
pole, some bate, then try to catch every new thing they add to "that"
database. They managed to hook me, and I hate spending money I don't
have to. lol I just wish I had thought of the idea first.

I mean, seriously, unless you have a basic free account, everything you
own is "on" your character, you have no items you make yourself, and all
your time is spent just "playing" the game, at some point you are
probably going to install "something" else on the machine that helps you
design/code script/animate, and so on.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {