POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Jul 2008 15:25:15
Message: <MPG.22dd6b4d7465aac698a17b@news.povray.org>
In article <48737522$1@news.povray.org>, voi### [at] devnull says...
> >> Other than audio and video data (which is inherantly large), I can't t
hink
> >> of anything you can do with a computer that actually uses much memory.
> >
> > At least, having a lot of memory lets you open many RAM-hungry apps at
the
> > same time. I can have FinalRender gobbling memory to render a huge scen
e and
> > still be able to edit images with Photoshop while having Firefox opened
 with
> > lots of tabs etc. Also, there are many professional applications where
more
> > RAM = bigger whatever is the goal of the application. I'm working wit
> > linear programming for instance, and more RAM = larger models.
>
> OK, but all of what you've described is pretty unusual for home use.
>
> Sure, I run flam3, which eats RAM like candy. But that's because I'm a
> nerd. Normal humans don't do things like that.
>
> At any rate, none of this explains why *Vista*, by itself, requires
> multiple gigabytes of RAM. (And therefore, presumably, if you want to
> run *real applications* that require gigs of RAM, you have to add even
> more RAM to your system to accomodate them!)

Well. How about something slightly normal, like having Firefox open with
tabs for information sites, while also running the game engine, and
running a program that tracks you combat kills, to tell you how much
damage you are doing, while storing that data for later use in a MySQL
file. Or are 99.9% of the people playing EQ2 "not normal" by your
standard?

And that doesn't even go into people running something like Second Life,
where the only people not trying to design things (i.e. having graphics
editors, Photo Shop, etc., open are either a) using free acounts and
can't afford the software, or b) bots designed to up the traffic stats
on sims.

I could go one, but the point is, if you play games, your probably going
to need that 1GB to "run the game", and the second to do anything else
at the same time. If you play games for something that *supports* over
1GB per application, how long do you "really" think its going to be
before you need it to run at all? Since, you know, that drives hardware
requirements "way" more than MS making bloatware.

You might be surprised what "normal" people need on their system. lol

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();