POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Golden Compass movie : Re: The Golden Compass movie Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Golden Compass movie
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jun 2008 23:28:03
Message: <MPG.22d0af30a67b339d98a171@news.povray.org>
In article <4866909a$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> >   It felt like you could perhaps enjoy the movie more if you had read t
he
> > book (although I wouldn't bet on that, as we all know about movie adapt
ations
> > of books), but without knowing anything at all about the story it was a
 bit
> > confusing and boring.
>
> It was fairly confusing an boring as a book, too. It was, however, a
> fairly good adaptation, methinks.
>
> I read all three books, out of curiousity and boredom. I'd say it was an

> attempt at an epic story whose intention was to teach you that epic
> stories aren't important.  So it kind of got wrapped around its own axle.
>
> It's a book about how not to believe in religion, full of evil people
> who see the light, magic vague conciousnesses talking to prophesied
> children, beings made from pure thought, inexplicable evil leaking into

> the world when science goes awry, and heaven forbid don't believe in
> religion.

Umm. Its a "series" about not believing in organized religion. Some of
the later bits did annoy me a lot, since it simply replaced one type of
mysticism with another, but the central premise was, in fact, "Don't
follow dogma from people who desperately want to control things they
can't comprehend at all, imagine are dangerous when they are the exact
opposite and who know absolutely nothing about what they claim to be
telling you about." The is the magesterium. A group of people convinced
that, in this case, the one single force in the universe that "derives"
life is actually the thing creating corruption and chaos, and
simultaneously desperate to destory it, even as they are scared to death
that someone will figure out where it actually comes from and actually
bring "more" of it, instead of helping them destroy it.

It wasn't evil leaking into the world, it was "life" leaking out. They
would literally destroying creation itself by trying to "get rid of" the
perceived evil of sin, i.e., dust, which made people think for
themselves and act on adult ideas, instead of happily obeying the
authorities. The mess with the angels and stuff got a bit confusing,
but, in essense, it put god in the position of being a being so
disconnected from the world and so fragile from being disconnected, that
he literally "blew away" and dissolved back into the dust, the moment
someone opened the gilded cage his power hungry second in command made
for him. His second was so power mad that he spread the ideas the
Magesterium taught, because it made him more powerful, while, like the
morons following him, he had no clue it was destroying *everything* in
the process.

I think you have misread some of it quite a bit, not the least getting
what "dust" really was wrong. It wasn't evil spilling into the world, it
was renewal. The Magesterium simply couldn't abide those that refused to
"obey", therefor, anything the discouraged people obeying had to, in
their view, be "evil". Much like you see in the definitions of the same
among the nuts of real religions.

I wouldn't even call it anti-religious, save in the sense that its main
message was, "Don't limit yourself to the silly BS some church come up
with. They don't have a clue, just dogma, and they might be completely
wrong about *everything*."

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {