POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Golden Compass movie : Re: The Golden Compass movie Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Golden Compass movie
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jun 2008 23:10:57
Message: <MPG.22d0ab0d4771521e98a170@news.povray.org>
In article <48668b27@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
>   I'm not really sure what I expected when I rented this movie, but I rea
lly
> didn't expect it to be boring. However, it resulted to be, at least in my
> view, just a parade of famous actors, one after another, none of which
> really had a good role which would have shown their acting prowess and
> charisma, excellent but not really innovative CGI (I hate to admit it, bu
> nowadays CGI has become more or less vulgar in most modern movies) and a
> really confusing plot, which felt like they wanted to fit a very thick
> book into 1 and a half hours of movie (which is most probably the case,
> in fact, although I have not read the book so I can't really tell).
>
>   It felt like you could perhaps enjoy the movie more if you had read the
> book (although I wouldn't bet on that, as we all know about movie adaptat
ions
> of books), but without knowing anything at all about the story it was a b
it
> confusing and boring.
>   It's not like movie adaptations of fantasy books couldn't be enjoyable.
> I liked the Harry Potter movies even though I haven't read even a single
> line of the books. However, The Golden Compass was just too erratic and
> fast-paced for my liking. While it had its moments, overall it was more
> boring than entertaining.
>
>   Is it just me, or is Hollywood trying lately to cash on the success of
> the LotR movies by making tons of similarly-themed fantasy movies based
> on random fantasy books? Take a more or less successful fantasy book,
> pour staggering amounts of money to produce a movie from it, and success
> is guaranteed? For me the whole thing is getting tiresome.

Well, as someone that did read the book. Its missing some story line in
at the arctic lab, which got fudged in some place else as dialog, how
she gets to the lab is inaccurate, bits and pieces of other parts where
not "quite" as badly squashed together. The ending... Just ends before
the first chapter, probably because it would have required a next movie,
which didn't seem likely to start, given the fervor of religious
ignorance and sight unread insanity just making it induced in many
people. Not that the real end did anything more, really, than suggest
even more strongly than some bits of the surviving story, that a sequel
existed (it would have practically demanded one).

All in all, watching it a second time I felt it was *slightly* less bad
than I original thought, but its not the most horrible adaption I have
ever seen either.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {