POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jun 2008 23:23:41
Message: <MPG.22c37f06c37fc51098a16c@news.povray.org>
In article <485823d7@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> > "A spaceman came travelling on his ship from afar. Twas light years of

> > time since his mission did start."
>
> > Like, WTF?
>
>   Not only is the term "parsec" used as a unit of time in the original
> Star Wars, but there's actually a second WTF related to the use of that
> unit: It's a unit related to the orbital diameter of the Earth, and Star
> Wars happens "in a galaxy far, far away". No Earth there.

Actually, no. This is explained, oddly enough, in a document on SL
talking about the Kessel run. In the SL context, it means packing some
cargo in a physics based "ship", starting at any sim south of a specific
point, then trying to "make it" as fast as you can to Kessel, without
having to go around problems, or having your ship derezz on you due to
sudden loss of user object permissions the moment you cross into some
new zone. Basically, he made the run from where ever the "start" was, to
the "end" in less than twelve parsecs, because his ship was fast and
maneuverable enough to avoid all of the nasty obstacles in the way, like
the edges of black holes, asteroids, and other things that "sane" people
avoided.

Supposedly, in the lore, someone else made it in even less than he did,
but with an even more suped up ship.

So, if you believe this context, one can presume that making the Kessel
run required some "minimum", but unstated, time frame in which you had
to get to the destination with the cargo, or you wouldn't get paid, and
that the more short cuts and faster the path you picked, the more likely
you where to get their in that time frame. In such a context, its
reasonable. It would be like scoffing at someone that said, "What? I
didn't go around the mine field, I went through it!", but not
impossible, nor incorrect. Just, profoundly unbelievable, and maybe
stupid, and having nothing to do with "time" at all (well, save for the
theoretical time constraints of delivery).

Note, this may also be "after the fact" justification and not in any way
canon.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {