POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Jun 2008 22:55:41
Message: <MPG.22b3a682864215898a169@news.povray.org>
In article <4848692d@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > I mean real in the sense that they "stay put",
>
> According to the math, they don't "stay put". Virtual particles are
> created when a "real" particle vanishes. Then the virtual particles bump

> into each other again and turn back into the "real" particle.

Not *quite* what I was getting at, in that my suggestion would, by this
logic, imply that some particle in a solid object nearby vanished,
generated two virtual particles, bumped into each other to make a real
one again, which you could detect in the vacuum, or, if unmolested,
vanished into two virtual ones again, just to "pop" back into being
inside the solid object where they started from. That would be actually
*more* disturbing than what I implied as a solution. lol

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();