POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : blender : Re: blender Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blender
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Jun 2008 22:51:49
Message: <MPG.22b3a599a942924e98a168@news.povray.org>
In article <web.484832e23e9934c97d55e4a40@news.povray.org>,
alp### [at] zubenelgenubi34spcom says...
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
> > Hmm. I'll have to try that. Though, on most mice the middle button is
> > also the "scroll", which makes it damn hard to use for anything...
> > Thanks for the tip.
>
> Not convinced you're both talking about the same thing (you can rotate th
> camera around objects, right?), but those control settings at least are
> configurable.
>
> Edit menu >> Preferences... >> Camera tab, then the Camera mode box chang
es
> which buttons control rotation and how rotation behaves by offering you a
> choice of modes taken from other packages.
>
> I use Blender mode (hold down middle mouse and drag to rotate), although
I can't
> remember if Blender mouse control actually does behave like that. You can
 see
> how the camera responds to the mouse in a particular camera mode by check
ing
> the status bar at the bottom of the display when nothing's selected. For
> example, in Maya mode you'll see:
>
> L: Select  [Alt]+L: Tumble  [Alt]+M: Track  [Alt]+R: Dolly  R: Show menu
>
> If you want to keep the middle mouse wheel for zoom and don't want to use
 the
> middle mouse button for rotation or whatever, you can set "Mouse buttons"
 to 2
> in the drop-down list on the Camera preferences tab. You'll only be able
to use
> Blender and Nendo modes with two buttons (Nendo mode is quite unusual com
pared
> to most other 3D apps).
>
> Tom

Found the problem actually. I use a Logitech mouse and automatically set
it up to use middle = double click. Never changes it back to, "just act

as a middle button", after finding how big a pain in the ass trying to
use the mouse wheel was. lol

Sadly, I have discovered that I "hate" the sculpting tool, which is what
I needed to use in it. For simple objects with "roughly" similar
dimensions in all directions, or where you can add more geometry, its
great. For cases where you need to have a "fixed" number of acceptable
vertices, and you can't break them apart to move them around, you kind
of run into a problem... I have "no" clue how some of these people make
one prim fracking dragons with these sorts of tools, unless they
manually edit every single point on the mesh. Using sculpt to just make
a butterfly wing resulted in so many points getting "stretched" past
their usable locations that the view in Blender showed literal holes in
the mesh, and there was no easy way to both a) select the points you
want to move, and b) make the other points "stretch" and "follow", to
form the correct design. I badly wish there was some sort of, "Stretch
object to fit closed polyline" function, or something. So, you know, you
draw the outer edge of the object, then it "fits" the selected line
around the sphere, etc., to the polyline. Silly sort of time savers like
that, for those of is without infinite patience and any clue. lol

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();