POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Jun 2008 01:29:29
Message: <MPG.22afd5ffe0ea101398a162@news.povray.org>
In article <48457419@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...

You know, I had a thought. What if electrons have no "fixed" path as we
would think of it. I.e., their position tends to fluctuate, similar to
what you get with the cloud of them around an atom (hint, they don't
form shells, its just a useful analogy). Then, if the slits are wide
enough and at a distance "equal" to the effective maximum distance of
displacement that can happen in these fluctuations, multiple electrons
fired in close proximity "may" find themselves in situations where their
positions must be logically coincidence with one of the slits, and they
"would" interfere and generate a pattern. Even a single one may do so,
since it "could" in such a state pass through "both" at the same time,
or near enough that similar coincident effects could cause it to pass
through one perfectly, vanish, then reappear too close to the other,
perturbing its path slightly, only to have its next "bounce" happen off
center of where it "should have" gone had it passed through both
perfectly, or missed one completely. I.e., maybe electrons actually act
like virtual particles in a vacuum. Something makes them more "stable"
than those particles, but their position is inherently unstable, within
the limits of their known path, due to fluctuations similar to those
that cause virtual particles.

This would allow a particle to both "pass through" two slits at the same
time, and yet, *not* have done so, but only if the slits where within a
the maximum distance in which such fluctuations would allow the electron
to fluctuate.

The only question is then, what about diffusion? Would diffusion be
explained by an increase in the effective diameter of possible
fluctuations, as velocity is lost, kind of like bullets wobble more as
their spinning slows?

Just thinking about what explanation would "fit" the data, while giving
a better explanation that, "well, it just goes through two slots." Kind
of begs the question, "Ok, but how?" And, it provides a plausible source
for quantum uncertainty. If all particles are, on some level, a form of
virtual particle, but something about their energy state keeps making
stable from moment to moment, unlike the more common ones. Well, its a
creepy prospect, but it might explain some things about quantum physics
and the whole Heisenberg Uncertainty mess.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();