POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Help! : Help! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Help!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Apr 2008 22:48:38
Message: <MPG.22803a4b84275bf998a14d@news.povray.org>
I have only 117 prims, about 60 already used (damn stargates), and need
to build a house. lol Just kidding, but damn.. I thought Second Life,
which I started fiddling with recently, would be a bit less
frustrating...

So far, I have concluded:

1. They need to prioritize which "prims" get sent, so you don't have
nude people running around while the scenery loads (or before their
clothes).

2. They need better limits on "what" scenery loads, so you don't load
shit that isn't visible, until needed (save some bandwidth there too).

3. They need something more like the mouselook in games, where you can
"look" up, down, etc., when *not* in first person.

4. Get rid of left-click being the fracking menu. The only *game* that
used this was EQ1, that I know of, and, unlike SL, you could get used to
the way the menu worked and avoid accidentally left clicking yourself or
other people, which would bring up an "inspect" window. Damned pain in
the ass when trying to move around. And since SL is worse, its damn near
impossible to adjust to it without screaming and ripping your hair out.

5. Better connectivity. Yeah, the Forerunner stargate (took up about 50
of the prims I have on my 512m^2 property, is nice, and will be nicer
once they have a script function for, "if I hit object, run script", but
it can't tell you where any of the other gates "are" really. The search
for places is like using a very bad forum search. You just desperately
want to open a browser and fracking Google for the stuff you want,
because finding it via the search is like entering "sex" in Google and
expecting the first result to be, "How DNA determines...", instead of,
"Free horse sucking videos!!!", or something.

6. Design system isn't that bad, but some of it could be improved.
Mostly though, its that you can only "attach" an item to one part of the
body at a time. It would be nice if you could make items that *let you*
attach more items, like a belt, or the like.

7. Make alternate body types *actually* be alternate body types, not
carnival masks. This *causes* about half the issues with #6. You get a
gadget, which connects at the ear, so all of the sudden you have lost
the fracking ear you have on... So, you attach it some place else,
fiddle it into the right place, and now you don't have "that" slot to
use for something else either. Bloody stupid.

I am sure I will find other irritations, but right now, its that I have
the space for a large bloody house, but if I want to build a fairly big
one, I will have to buy more land, and that means either paying "more"
to SL per month, along with "land use fees", which the 512 I have now
don't require. And, that is even if I can find enough land to trade/buy
nearby, to make a bloody difference in the number of prims I have
available.

And.. For some reason no one can figure out a) why people don't stay in
the world, b) visit for RL stuff, like the Coke pavilions, etc., or c)
spend huge amounts of cash to "buy" all the useless junk they need for
their avatars, from the 80 billion vendors than apparently are the main
inhabitants of entire sections of the world. lol

So nice an idea, so bad an execution, so dumb a set of specifications
for how it should function, and so empty a place because *everything*
costs money, even, in some cases, just passing through someone's
property (which is ironic, since I would have thought someone like
Disney could have made a virtual park, had the main teleport location
free to enter, then had you pay an "entry fee" to get into the main
section...) Seems perfectly sane to me, if I have the $300-400+ a month
to "pay for" the account and land use costs to build something that
big... (would probably need at least 4 "sims", each costing $100 a
piece/month to "own").

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {