POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Apr 2008 22:23:55
Message: <MPG.22803483a4a216b998a14c@news.povray.org>
In article <481### [at] hotmailcom>, a_l### [at] hotmailcom
says...
> Yes, you are. More in tone than in observation. One other way to look at

> it is that there is a confusion of inheritance of culture and
> inheritance of genes. While it is worthwhile to preserve the culture,
> not everybody that has the genes is part of that culture. Especially the

> ones that have nearly no culture at all, and that preserve what is left

> in ethanol.
Well, we where talking about one specific group of people and if they,
by reason of "blood", not "culture", should get some sort of special
treatments, not something more general, so.. Also, culture changes over
time. You can preserve it by reenacting it, like people do in a "lot" of
cases, while still living in the modern world, or you can stuff your
head in the sand and render yourself extinct, by sticking to stuff that,
maybe, didn't work quite as well as the rose colored glasses look, which
some people get looking at their pasts, implies. Sometimes cultures die
out from competition, not due to overt and intentional destruction from
outside.

> Your three types are worldwide. There are several tribes trying to live

> a traditional way of life in this modern madness and there are those
> that do nothing and blame everything on others. My sister was a few
> years ago in Cameroon and she was supposed (and subtly forced) to pay
> for the food of everybody she met because she was from Europe and, well,

> you know, slavery and such.
The problem imho, is that, rather than figure out what is good from now,
a lot of them simply reject everything from now, for some imaginary
ideal of the past, forgetting all the bad shit that used to happen when
they *did* live in the simple, supposedly non-mad world. I might agree
that the US often fails to look at the consequences of progress, and
gives up on some stuff too easy. We also, sadly, tend to hang on to some
of the stupidest and most useless crap from the past possible, at least
among the conservatives, because admitting its crap would be
**liberal**, so one must instead fight even harder to preserve it, even
when it didn't make sense to 50% of the people when it *was* wide
spread...

> One other thing: the three types are actually at least six, because it
> is all about a clash of two cultures and you forgot to take the culture

> that ends on top into consideration. The remaining ones are: 3b) winning

> group basically goes on undisturbed. 1b) Cultures get mixed and 2b)
> winning group takes most of the culture over from the defeated (I think

> I remember there were case where that happened but can't remember
> which). And there is also the situation that no group actually wins total
ly.

True enough. And really, there is no such thing as 3b. Something always
transfers. The most common tactic is to borrow the idea, claim you came
up with it, then vigorously deny it existed "before" you borrowed it.
The Catholic church is an expert on that, given that, if what many
scholars now consider to be true is, nothing from the NT itself to their
rituals, holidays, saints, or **anything** is original. Its all been
borrowed from whom ever was the biggest threat to them at the time. lol

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();