POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Puting the ID in Stupid. : Re: Puting the ID in Stupid. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Puting the ID in Stupid.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Mar 2008 23:57:48
Message: <MPG.2254d736908faea598a12e@news.povray.org>
In article <47e99908@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
> > Kind of like Protestants.. Start with the premise that you don't need

> > the trappings of the church, just a personal relationship with god, the
> > proceed to build lots of churches, rewrite bits of the Bible to sound

> > better, then become some of the most obnoxious people on the planet
> > about being sheppards, by "telling people about Jesus", even when they

> > don't want to know. lol
>
>   It's good to see that this thread about bashing ID proponents has not
> converted into an attack towards christian movements.

Umm. I am not attacking the moment at all. If they stuck to the original
premise, scientists, and even most atheists, including myself, wouldn't
have a single problem with them. We might even acknowledge *some* of the
ideas they have, where they to be reasonable ones (mind you, I don't
find a lot of *reasonable* in Christianity that isn't better stated in a
lot of other religions, and without the much of the hypocrisy and
situational ethics). The problem here is hubris, the hypocrisy of
claiming a principle, then ignoring it by trying to make everyone else
*agree* with their interpretation of what "personal relationship" means,
and just the general execution of the whole idea. I would judge just as
harshly someone that came up with a grand idea of making sure everyone
had medical care, then deciding later on that *medical care* meant
forcing everyone to get plastic surgery to correct what *they* thought
where "defects".

I am also sure there are some of them that adhere to their principles
and don't push it. But, such people probably don't attend much church,
since churches would be pushing them to spread the word, nor going
around telling everyone in sight what their religion is. I.e., they
wouldn't be noticeable until you asked. So, I am to judge the movement
on the basis of a silent and unknown number, or the thousands of
lunatics that show up every year in a mega prayer session some place,
for the protestant Woodstock to pray for me to be, "Shown the light, or
at least prevented from making the country worse by not being like
them!"?

Since the first group is rather invisible, and doesn't seem all that
inclined to do anything about the loud mouths, its damn hard to judge
the movement based on the ones I **don't** see all the time. Just
saying..

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {