POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Puting the ID in Stupid. : Re: Puting the ID in Stupid. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Puting the ID in Stupid.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Mar 2008 20:50:00
Message: <MPG.2251f9f9af6c465298a127@news.povray.org>
In article <47e7ae40@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Although his right to offend Muslims falls under the freedom of
> > expression, many people think that it is unwise because of the expected

> > violent reaction in Islamic countries.
>
>   Some people say that freedom of expression does not give the right to
> insult people based on things like their religion.

Then there is the other side, which is, "Why is it that this only seems
to count for the prevailing religion of the people complaining about it
being insulted (even when described would be more accurate)?", and, "Why
should religion get that privilege in the first place, since the
followers of it obviously find no reason to get pissed if you argue
about the flaws of religions they don't believe in, or which no one
follows any more?" Oh, and then there is stuff like scientology, where
the US method of handling religion means you can't touch it, even though
you know its insane, dangerous, and doing harm to people.

But, the truth is, even in the US, the *entire* argument amounts to
force. We believe X, we think X should have greater worth than any other
opinion, and we **will** use every means we can, from legislation, to
court cases, to teaching people's kids our version, to *make* you accept
it, and we have the force to make that happen. The only difference is
the tools used, not the rhetoric, the denial of basic facts, the failure
to recognize the damage being done, or the rapid adherence to the
position that everyone else is out to get them, because it defies some
other alternative dogma.

Got one guy that recently proved that you can add specific enzymes to
the tail of a chicken, as its still developing, and end up with a tail
like that of the prior dinosaurs it came from. The only arguments
"allowed" are going to be, a) its faked to make it look like evolution
is true, or b) they actually triggered the "master" program that was
designed to produce all of the "kinds" that exist today. That these
people hold 180 degree contrary positions doesn't matter, nor does the
fact that the later one, while nuts, doesn't effect science much (if
anything it just leaves them with the need to prove the "master
program" exists, rather than just asserting that it does), nor does it
matter that the later would "prove" common descent, which is precisely
what the former insists didn't happen. Its enough to give make your head
explode...

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {