POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? : Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? Server Time
17 May 2024 18:04:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Feb 2008 17:05:35
Message: <MPG.222b97ead33b051198a10a@news.povray.org>
In article <47c110cd$1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> Jeff Houck wrote:
> > In the latest Beta 3.7.beta25 change log, it mentions the pvengine.ini

> > file is now integrated into the Windows registry. I'm curious as to why

> > this was done? The editor I can understand due to it's tight integratio
> > with the Windows GUI manager. But why the pvengine.ini? Thx.
>
> Vista compatibility :-(
>
> 	Thorsten, POV-Team
Umm. All one needs if the local the users documents folder is in, then
write your user files there. This is how most programs do it under *nix,
storing settings for the "user" in the "user's" document/program area.
Why bow to MS' broken system, when all its going to do is make it a
nightmare later on, when you find some case where you need access to
that stuff, but its not there. Heck, for that matter, the OS is doing
that anyway. User specific keys are now *stored* in a registry file
"in" the users own document path, rather than in the old monolithic mess
they had prior. But, it still means you are putting all your eggs in one
basket and can break the damn thing too easy making it near impossible
to fix dozens of such keys, especially if someone manages to glitch the
file, or even delete it. Recreating "one" file specific to the program
yours using, is manageable, not recreating one huge file that used to
contain stuff for 50 some odd programs. Its just nuts imho.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();