POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? : Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? Server Time
17 May 2024 18:03:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Feb 2008 16:58:11
Message: <MPG.222b9618592e96b898a109@news.povray.org>
In article <47c11106$1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > In article <47c08fb8$1@news.povray.org>, jho### [at] northrimnet says...
> >> In the latest Beta 3.7.beta25 change log, it mentions the pvengine.ini

> >> file is now integrated into the Windows registry. I'm curious as to wh
> >> this was done? The editor I can understand due to it's tight integrati
on
> >> with the Windows GUI manager. But why the pvengine.ini? Thx.
> >>
> > Gah.. Good question. Most people in *any* sort of open source and/or
> > user modifiable code are moving away from that.
>
> You have no real clue what you are talking about, do you?
>
> 	Thorsten
Ok, maybe I should say "some", not most. But seriously, the registry is
a major pain in the @$$#$#@$ ass. Its not secure when you need it to be,
too secure on new Windows platforms, when you don't want it to be, its
more easily corrupted than small stand alone files, and damn harder to
simply fix by recreating the part that broke (since it can break the
registry so bad you can't fix any of it), etc. It imho, has been, and
will always be, more trouble than its worth. A fair number of people are
starting to recognize the same thing and abandon it, in favor of going
back to something more like the old .ini method. So, I exaggerated, sue
me.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {