POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? : Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? Server Time
17 May 2024 16:50:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Feb 2008 21:56:41
Message: <MPG.222a8a4fbecda20298a108@news.povray.org>
In article <47c08fb8$1@news.povray.org>, jho### [at] northrimnet says...
> In the latest Beta 3.7.beta25 change log, it mentions the pvengine.ini
> file is now integrated into the Windows registry. I'm curious as to why

> this was done? The editor I can understand due to it's tight integration

> with the Windows GUI manager. But why the pvengine.ini? Thx.

Gah.. Good question. Most people in *any* sort of open source and/or
user modifiable code are moving away from that. There is even discussion
on the client I use for muds on when/if/how it should move its setting
out of there. The registry creates more problems than it solves usually,
and in the case of the client I mentioned, there is some bizarre bug
which causes the client to forget what the window sizes are, if you have
more than one open at a time. And that is not even mentioning stuff like
being able to export settings and import them to a different machine,
use programs across multiple machines, off of flash drives, and so on,
especially if you have restrictions on certain types of software
installs, and so on. It is, quite simply, a major pain in the ass that I
wish MS hadn't come up with, and completely absurd as a solution to much
of anything (especially now that XP and Vista "both" use user specific
folders for documents now, which means those kinds of settings could be
stored just like on *nix systems). In other words, the stupid reason
they came up with it in the first place, isn't necessary any more.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();