POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need two things.. : Re: Need two things.. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:05:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need two things..
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Feb 2008 22:18:56
Message: <MPG.22269b8d7886812b98a0ff@news.povray.org>
In article <47bc9b41@news.povray.org>, stb### [at] hotmailcom says...
> Alain wrote:
> > Whenever you render any texture with any other application, the end
> > result will be different. Simply put, the other application don't have

> > the same algorythm to generate it's textures.
>
> It would render the same if it was compiled using POV source. Seems like

> a waste of time, though, considering the fact that an orthographic POV
> scene works just fine for this kind of thing.
>
> Sam

Well, I think you are missing the point. Most programs now have a way to
create textures to be applied to objects, such that the algorithms are
the same and you don't need to render. The purpose being to allow you to
play with them, until you get what you want, not set X, render, set Y,
render, decide X isn't right, change it and add Z, render, etc. You get
to determine the texture in real time. The problem being not just that
other programs don't use the same algorithms, they don't even use the
same methods, and nearly all of them generate an image, not a texture
definition.

Sure, if you are used to doing it the hard way, and you have a clear
idea what effects you will get, it works OK to throw 3-4 things
together, render, then tweak. Its useless if you only have the vaguest
clue what you are trying for, no idea if that *is* what you really want
to do, and you don't want to have to run another program every time to
see what you end up with (especially given how broken that is at the
moment for say the recent versions and Moray).

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();