POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need two things.. : Need two things.. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:43:31 EDT (-0400)
  Need two things..
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Feb 2008 22:57:25
Message: <MPG.222552df6a55f24b98a0fe@news.povray.org>
First, I was fairly sure that *someplace* there was a utility for
creating POVRay textures around, which wasn't a) shareware and b) didn't
rely in POVRay to render the texture. Am I wrong? Its just that having
to render every time to see what the changes you make are going to look
like is a serious pain, especially if you have to use some clunky
interface, like the shareware TXMag to do it. I have something I want to
do and need a simple, clear, and easily tweakable method to match
existing textures, without having to use something that generates a
tillable image, instead of a native texture. Nothing "recent" seems to
do this.

Second, I need to make something that looks a bit like an 8 sided D&D
dice. The plan is to texture it using one of the matched textures, add
some metal bits too it that match others, carve into it some symbols,
some of them also matched to textures from a game, then have the whole
thing floating and slowly rotating on the Guild webpage. I really am not
in the mood to try to code the textures, or the object, manually using a
mess of CSG chopping, but I have only fiddled now and them with the
program, so maybe I need to post on like "intermediate" instead (if we
had such a place). lol

Seriously, this is *one* thing that having the license change will help
with. Right now you can't yank out the code that handles some of this
stuff and really make utilities that *use* that code to produce simple
editors, which also support the full capability of the engine. And some
of those, for textures, or even media, would be very nice to have, so
you can tweak settings and see what will happen *before* having to
render some complex scene to see the result.

Oh, and one thought on someone's mentioning DKBTrace. The only advantage
I could see with it is that it has enough similar syntax that you
*could* maybe run it on low power, low memory, systems, like Palm
Pilots, where I don't imagine managing to get POVRay onto one of them,
or at least have it run at all, even if you could. Its unfortunate that
the same issue exists for its code as did for POVRay. :(

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();