POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reality : Re: Reality Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reality
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Feb 2008 22:49:10
Message: <MPG.221821edde6222d598a0fc@news.povray.org>
In article <47ae4a7c$1@news.povray.org>, aut### [at] runevisioncom
says...

> Warp wrote:
> > Rune wrote:
> >> Conversely, I
> >> think the sentence below with "he" sounds very weird:
> >
> >> "Readers of women's magazines are not known to be very loyal. If a rea
der
> >> finds that his favourite magazine have gotten pricier than it used to
be,
> >> he
> >> will often tend to buy a different one instead."
> >
> >  I can honestly say that the use of "he" did not sound odd or out-of-pl
ace
> > to me at all in that sentence. Maybe it's because I'm so used to using

> > "he"
> > as the neutral pronoun.
>
> Hmm. Okay.
>
> Rune

Actually, where it bugs me is in customer service. You never use he/she,
but you use sir, mam, miss, mrs, etc., and its too damn easy when tired
and/or distracted to mess that up. Something like "ker" which was used
in C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series as a kind of general honorific would be
a whole hell of a lot less a) embarassing, b) insulting to people that
are offended easy, and c) likely to be misused. So, yeah, I would vote
for some set of gender neutral words too.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();