POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 18:38:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Jan 2008 00:48:44
Message: <MPG.220b0ef9ca850c1c98a0f3@news.povray.org>
In article <479edf92@news.povray.org>, sco### [at] laptopcom says...
> > I said, "useful enough", not "not useful", just to clarify that. But
> > seriously, its got the same problem that trying to use things like
> > isosurfaces, or meshes, and the like in Moray has. If you can't "see"
> > how something that you add interacts in the preview, what is the point
> > of *having* a preview?
>
> There's absolutely no reason why meshes shouldn't be visible in a real-ti
me
> previewer.  And iso-surfaces are easily meshed using a number of differen
> algorithms.  OK, it's more work than meshing a cube or cylinder, but it's

> certainly not impossible.

Yes. Just not entirely feasible, in some cases. lol Seriously though,
the biggest issue isn't necessary those, but tessellation of other
things, which are normally calculated more directly. You have to do a
lot of work to "got" the preview, before you can use it, work that
wouldn't be needed so much in a system that generated triangle based
objects to start with. And, it doesn't change the fact that its not as
useful without a complete set as *with* one. Aside from the gripe I have
with Moray using a different coordinate system than the one I am *used
to* using when hand coding, such that mixing stuff doesn't work so well,
its also "missing" a lot of things that are either just left out, or
kind of complicated to actually support. And no, hand entering code some
place, so that it renders "after" you send it to POVRay is *not*
supporting the feature. Support, in this case, is when you can *see* it
in the modelers view first, so you don't have to do a 3 day render to
see if your hand entered code worked. lol OpenGL preview, same problem.
Its either all, nearly all (which is still fairly acceptable, depending
on what got left out and why), or nothing.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();