POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 18:55:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2008 21:38:01
Message: <MPG.2202f97331346e4c98a0eb@news.povray.org>
In article <4798d43b@news.povray.org>, sau### [at] netscapenet says...

> > if you tried to add shortcuts, never
> > mind that there aren't a lot of free rendering systems that are as good
,
> > and also use those short cuts. Most of the other half would still be
> > busy sharpening the edges of their triangle primitives, just in case
> > your suggestion did break the physical based systems already in there.

> > lol But, I think you see what I am getting at. Even if some of us would

> > find it useful to take short cuts, its *not* what the program is
> > supposed to be designed for, and what it *is* intended for isn't
> > functionally possible in current GPUs.
>
> I see. As I wrote, I would like this only as rough/test/WIP/preview,
> specially if the rough/test/WIP/preview could be rendered fast or in
> real-time. The final output is and should always be SLOW for HIGHEST
> quality purposes, which I enjoy very much. Actually I enjoy rendering
> POV-Ray images slowly, since version 1.0 (which I still have), since
> real-time Virtual Reality renderers are impossible for most if not all
> of us, getting only one frame of VR slow is just fine for me :)

Well, some people have built prototype versions that "do" use OpenGL to
provide previews. And, they work OK, so long as you are not using stuff
that they currently have no way to tessellate or extrapolate into the
architecture needed to use the GPU. So, yeah, some people do think that
doing so is sort of useful. The real question is going to be if it ever
gets to the point of supporting enough features to be "useful enough".

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();