POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holograms for camouflage! : Re: Holograms for camouflage! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holograms for camouflage!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Jan 2008 16:35:10
Message: <MPG.21eaf75c770cacfa98a0dc@news.povray.org>
In article <4780aca0@news.povray.org>, voi### [at] devnull says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > In article <477e910f$1@news.povray.org>,
> > nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom says...
> >> And the fact that there isn't any 3D hologram projector except on the

> >> virtual world on your website :)
> >>

> > Well, this isn't 100% true now.
>
> Well, when I was doing my final year at uni, one of the professors was
> talking about a new 3D TV technology that was "nearly ready to market".

> It still hasn't appeared.
>
> There are quite a wide range of technologies out there for generating 3D

> animated images. None of them has ever become all that popular. And
> certainly none of them enable you to "project" a hologram into mid-air. ;
-)

Well. The problem with the 3D TV system is a) recording, b) storage and
c) transmission. Your talking about a *massive* increase in data. Like,
a blueray disk might store 20 minutes of the data needed (instead of
like 10 DVDs, or what ever it is supposed to support). This guys idea
"looks" like its projected into space, since it works just like a
projected holographic plate, and while the laser assembly is large and
complicated, the hardware needed to calculate the image is already
sitting on your desk. A number of improvements in chip based lasers, and
other tricks, are ***very*** likely to make it viable to have a
holographic display on your desk in very short order. Recording and
playing back "TV", where you are using a camera to record the data, is
going to require either a) a vastly different technology, or b) some
method of reading the data from two cameras, calculating a 3D mesh(s) of
the objects in the scene, mapping textures to those, then reintegrating
them at the other end. I.e., each frame would need "image" data, as in
the textures, and "mesh" data, defining the location of the objects in
3D, onto which you want to map those images. You *might* be able to code
something that can make a decent approximation now, but its going to be
something that has a surface, but no solidity. I.e., a movie made using
3D software could place an object in the center of scene, which could be
seen from all angles and sides, while something mapped using the sort of
3D system we *can* build, would look like one of those topo maps they
make, which is just plastic formed into a shell, then painted.

This isn't what they are trying to create though. They want something
more detailed, and I don't think they have the software, cameras,
hardware *or* bandwidth to manage it yet. And storing the data at all,
instead of doing it live....

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {