POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holograms for camouflage! : Re: Holograms for camouflage! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holograms for camouflage!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jan 2008 18:33:59
Message: <MPG.21e9c0a1e64dd3f298a0da@news.povray.org>
In article <477e910f$1@news.povray.org>,
nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom says...
> And the fact that there isn't any 3D hologram projector except on the
> virtual world on your website :)
>
> PS: I fell for it too. Great job there.

Well, this isn't 100% true now. Some guy is developing a system that
takes a laser, runs code through a standard 3D card to determine the
pattern of interference needed to make a 3D image, then alters the
laser, using some optical technique that apparently eliminates the
mirrors normally used, to generate a hologram. I.e., he is doing the
reverse of what you do to get a holographic print. Like other holograms,
it isn't projected into mid air, but on a flat surface. It is also only
monocolored at the moment, though that wouldn't matter much for most
animals, and takes up a room the size of a small refrigerator truck. He
hopes to make it work with multicolor lasers, and get it down to the
size of... a copier machine, or some such, in the relatively near
future.

Now, whether you could a) generate an image from data, like a picture,
which would work, b) find some place to hide something the size of a
refer, and c) really hide behind it usefully, is another matter. lol You
are probably better off just buying camo netting. 5-10 years from now...
who knows, especially with new developments in laser technology, 3D
hardware, etc.

Think I read about it is MIT Technology Review, but not sure if that was
the magazine or not.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {