POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... : Re: Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Did you know...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Jan 2008 14:39:25
Message: <MPG.21e83930694d001d98a0d8@news.povray.org>
In article <477e656b$1@news.povray.org>, ele### [at] netscapenet
says...
> Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/03 23:51:
>
> >>   Not everything gets longer. Only intergalactic space, far away from
> >> the galaxies, gets longer.
> >
> > That's what has me curious.  How does space far from galaxies "decide"

> > to get larger while space between stars doesn't?
> It don't decide to get larger far from galaxies, galaxies prevent it to g
et larger.

> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble%27s_law
> >>
> >> "In using Hubble's law to determine distances, only the velocity due
> >> to the expansion of the universe can be used. Since gravitationally
> >> interacting galaxies move relative to each other independent of the
> >> expansion of the universe, these relative velocities, called peculiar
> >> velocities, need to be accounted for in the application of Hubble's
> >> law. The Finger of God effect is one result of this phenomenon
> >> discovered in 1938 by Benjamin Kenneally. In systems that are
> >> gravitationally bound, such as galaxies or our planetary system, the
> >> expansion of space is (more than) annihilated by the attractive force
> >> of gravity."
> >
> > OK. That still doesn't make sense to me. As space expands between two

> > stars within a galaxy, the gravity between those stars gets *weaker*,

> > meaning they orbit more slowly and are less likely to hold together.
> > Maybe that's why galaxies turn from globular clusters into spirals or

> > something, tho.
> The concensus is rather that galaxies start as spiral and degenerate into

> globular clusters.
> Usualy, spiral galaxies are relatively young, with lots of forming stars
and
> interstellar gases. Globular galaxies are older, have very little or no n
ew
> stars forming and almost to totaly lack interstellar gases.

Was the consensus. The problem is, they have found old galaxies and new
that do *not* conform to those expectations. Its now thought that
globular systems may be missing the central black hole, or some other
factor, which would cause the tidal forces that make some galaxies spin,
and thus form spirals. Its kind of up in the air though.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();